Friday, January 31, 2014

DAY 31: Waiting For the Word

Catherine took her place next to Mr Ison, as they waited for him to die. His most recent round of pain meds should have phased out by this point, and Catherine would not let one minute of pain endure, if she had any say about it.  If he had any words - any wishes or curse - she was determined to honor them.  At the least, she was determined to hear them.  It's what any one deserves, she thought.
Mr Ison opened his eyes, nothing more.  She had never heard him say a word; most of the time, he slept.  But Catherine had seen his eyebrows raise a couple of times, and she entertained the idea that he hung around for her.
Catherine scanned the family photos left for Mr Ison: family portraits from other time zones, recently photographed and reluctantly posed for.  There was also a photo from last Tuesday, from his 85th birthday celebration; it was the nurses who rounded up hats and presented a symbolic cupcake for posterity.
Compelled, she said, "Mr Ison, I want you to know that I'm going to be here until you're done.  You're not going to be alone."   She searched his eyes for a reply.  His stare did not waver.
"Actually, I'm curious, because I haven't seen anyone die yet.  I'm still kinda new.  Usually, there's more people here, and I have to work the nursing station and answer phones.  And when somebody starts having a heart attack or something, I have to get out of the way for the crash cart...
"I used to be scared of death, you know.  When I was still in elementary school, my parents took me to five funerals in a summer, so I think that messed me up a bit.  But I think that's what got me into nursing, too.  And I have a mentor who says we can't save everybody, so she said I should work here for a little bit, and learn the rest of what things nurses do.  And I get it, because the nurses are there when nobody else can do anything else..."
She pondered on how to say what she wanted to share next:  that her curiosity extended to his moment of death.  Would he shudder or be still?  Would there be an extinguished light from his eyes?  Would he share a moment of clarity before his release, or just a groan?  She had every reason to be there for him, but her own reasons... She could not bring herself to voice them.
"So I don't want you to die, but if you do, I want to be there for you when it happens.  Ill be happy that you're my first."

Meg knocked on the door.  "Cathy, I need you at the nursing station."
"Mr Ison and I are talking."
Meg snorted.  "Station, Cathy."
Catherine gave Mr Ison a smile and stepped out of his gaze.

Outside the room, Catherine confronted her supervisor.  "Can't you use one of the toilets in the rooms?"
"Ew! Besides I'm getting a pop."
"What about Linda?"
"She's using the bathroom in one of the rooms.  But she's not getting a pop for anybody. Just watch the board until somebody gets back."
"But I promised-"

Bells went off in Mr Ison's room.  "Dammit!"  Catherine rushed back in...


inspired by Discover Magazine article, "Clues From the Comet of the Century"

No comments:

Post a Comment