Sunday, January 12, 2014

DAY 12: Eviction Notice

I told him he should have locked the place.  A guy who thinks he can sell real estate because he wins at Monopoly doesn't realize what a sewer Baltic Avenue is.
It was a block west of the OldTown renaissance; it should have been easy money.  But Jerry bought the two-story Victorian in November, then didn't touch it while the winter blew in.  As soon as the weatherman said we were getting to 40, he gave me a call.  He understands that family gets you availability(not a discount) so I met him after work.
I was there to give estimates on the work he'd have to pay for, supplies to get, etc...  First thing to the grocery list: a back door.  The ground floor was definitely explored, but unoccupied.  He shrugged it off; I reminded him that crackhouses aren't bought, they're found.
I was stepping around turds and looking for mold, while he was taking pictures, when we heard some thumping upstairs. The house had no power and I had the Mag, so I took the lead.  There were four doors upstairs, all closed.  
He ran up when I kicked open the first one; I told him he was buying new doorknobs.  I heard the noise at the end of the hall, but I slammed open the rest of the doors, in case the noise would scare it off (not he or she; they didn't shoot or run when I was slamming doors or Jerry was yelling "police!" in a very un-authoritative voice...)  
So there's one door left, and it's the bathroom, by process of elimination.  We bang on the door, tell them to get down on the ground, and I get ready to turn the doorknob.  Jerry's behind me, ready to swing.  I push it open-
And that's when we found the deer - a six-point buck - thrashing its head, bucking, honking like a goose from hell.  Me and my light get out of its way; it runs, tumbling down the stairs, and out the back door.  I look for Jerry - no sign.  I call for him - not a sound.  I feel a breeze out of the second bedroom; I go to the window... he'd jumped out the second story, landed on a trash tub, lost himself a tooth.  
He sold me the property the next week, and I flipped that house in a month.  Amateur.

inspired by Discover Magazine article, "The Search for Life Trapped Under Antartica's Ice"

No comments:

Post a Comment