Monday, April 7, 2014

DAY 94: An Awkward Itching Problem

Dr Maloney picked up the folder for room 413.  As she began to peruse through the file of Ms Melanie Rufrode, nurse Cyrus took the folder out of her hand.  "This one's waiting for Dr Herzog."
Maloney took the folder back.  "He's detained in surgery; he's taking my evening rounds for this."
Cyrus put his fingers on the folder, ready to remove.  "I'm sorry, Doctor, but this patient should really wait for Dr Herzog."
Maloney gave a fire-starting glare at his fingers.  "And he's not going to be here for twelve hours.  I have no intention of alterting his recommendations."
"Sherrita, you can't help this patient."
"Why not, Cyrus?"
Cyrus's eyes dropped while he searched for the word.  "She's got allergies.  Hives, uncontrolled itching..."
"Yes, I see that.  Do I smell like I'm wearing perfume?"
"...and you're black."
Maloney was stunned silent.  After a moment, she blurted out, "This is not 1953!" and bolted into the room, Cyrus behind her with gloves in hand.

The doctor entered the room, wearing her most pleasant smile.  "Hello, Ms Rufrode, I'm Dr Maloney."
Melanie yanked her blanket to her chin and shuddered.  "Aaa!  Where's Dr Herzog?"
"He's in the middle of performing a surgery, he'll be back overnight.  But we want to see what we can do until then."
"I'm so sorry!" Melanie said, through tears and neck-scratching.  "I don't have a problem with black people!  I voted for Obama and Jordan Sparks!  I'm visiting my daughter - I'm gonna be a new grandma any day now!"
"When did this start?"
"When she came to visit me in Pocatello, with her fiancee, Derek.  He wanted to ask my permission to marry her.  He was very nice.  But before the visit was over, I started itching all over - and it didn't stop until he left!  It didn't happen again until I made the trip here!  I was standing in line at the Walgreens, and I couldn't even make it to the counter, I had to leave!"
"Why do you think it's african-americans that's causing the itching?"
"I'm from Idaho!  We don't have any!"  Melanie was rubbing her arms.  "You've got to believe me! I want to be able to hold my grandson!"

From the other side of the room, Dr Maloney referred to the chart.  "I believe you.  Your NPPB levels shows there's a definite physiological change going on.  It's your body that's reacting, not you."
"Am I a bad person?  I didn't even know everything Ashley was going through until Monday, and I got on a plane-"
"Ms Rufrode...  do you think your daughter's boyfriend is a decent person?"
"Seems so.  He was real nice on the phone, and when we met.  But then he saw me scratching uncontrollably-"  Melanie sobbed
The doctor spoke low, drawing Melanie's attention.  "Ms Rufrode, my husband is allergic to dogs, all kinds - even my dogs.  But he married me anyway, and let me keep them.  And we've practically bought stock in Claritin, but that's what he's willing to do to keep the family together.  And we can figure out what you need to do, if you want to be around the family."
Melanie nodded.  Dr Maloney wrote a prescription for some antihistamines, and asked her to check in a few days, to see how she acclimated to the climate.

The next time Dr Maloney and Cyrus saw Melanie, she was carrying her newborn grandson in her arms. "That's a beautiful baby you got there, new grandma!"
"We're bringing him home today, but I just had to find you, and thank you!"  Melanie passed the child to Cyrus and gave Dr Maloney a big hug.  "Thank you!"
The baby started fussing and crying.  "Nurse Takamoto," the doctor quipped, "I think the baby has a problem with you."



inspired by Discover Magazine article, "The Science Behind an Itch"

No comments:

Post a Comment