Sunday, April 6, 2014

DAY 93: Early Afternoon in the Waiting Room of a Genetic Testing Lab

Michael John Boone and John Michael Cooper sat in the waiting room, passing the time.  Boone was sending one more text message to his wife at home.  He looked over at Cooper, reading a magazine that had his face on the back cover, endorsing a stylish sneaker brand.  Cooper, realizing he'd been caught, mimicked his magazine face, eliciting a chuckle from Boone.
"Everything alright?"  Cooper asked.
"Yeah," Boone replied.  "Sheila said work called.  They know I had a doctor's appointment, and they're already thinking the worst."
"You didn't tell them?"
"I don't know if there's anything to tell yet."
Cooper nodded.  "My work's like that, too.  Times ten."

Boone looked at the magazine, and then at his feet.  "You ever wear those shoes?"
In response, Cooper lifted his feet, showing off a crisp white pair.  "Got a closet of 'em.  My contract says I gotta wear them in public until October, and they gotta look new.  There are worse ways to make money...  You ever consider it?"  He mimed a baseball pitch.
"I played into high school, but I wanted a job more.  First job I could get was changing oil at this garage; on the first day, I met the boss's daughter - Sheila.  I flunked school and busted ass so he'd let me date her.  Then that was good for a while, until some folks started grumbling.  So I quit the job and kept the girl, started my own garage.  Pissed off the old man, but she married me anyway.  But you asked about ball.  Nah, didn't cross my mind.  Not with a girl like that."  Boone pulled up a photo of Sheila back in the day, dressed for prom.

Cooper looked at the hand holding the phone, and then his own.  "I knew a girl that looked like her  .In college - she married an Army guy.  I send them tickets once in a while, they're alright.  Brunette, short, bright eyes, didn't let anybody tell her what to think or do...  I was already on scholarship, so it was what it was.  And then I got signed."

Boone saw the incoming text on his phone.  "Sheila was wondering if we were doing anything after this."
"She got you on a short leash, man."
"Not too short.  If we ain't going anywhere, you can join us for dinner."
"That's cool, if you got room.  And if you don't want to stop anywhere."
"I got cold beers at home, too... but I think I might need to pick up something at work."
Cooper autographed his face on the back of the magazine.  "I don't mind the detour.  I always carry a Sharpie."



inspired by Discover Magazine article, "Higgs Boson Found... For Real!"

No comments:

Post a Comment