Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DAY 90: Message in a Galactic Bottle

By the time you get this message, I will no longer exist.  But rest assured, among my final thoughts will be the knowledge that you were right.
I made it to Cygnus, and was on my way back, when I detected a galaxy no one had seen before.  From home, it's obscured by the turbulence of Kepler's Singularity.   I almost missed it myself, or dismissed it as a faulty reading.  But it was real - a galaxy that no one knew existed... a galaxy I could claim for my own.  I could not see that she was already spoken for.  I set an approach that I intended would counteract the singularity's pull; I underestimated that force.
I identified a planet to crash on, and write these words.  I have tried to fix my ship, to no avail.  There is no escape from this planet, orbiting this final star, as we circle around the singularity.  But it is a beautiful prison: a constant pink sky, breathable air, resources for food and shelter, and no one to compete with.  I will die peacefully here.
If I remember my studies, I will die of old age here, in the space between your heartbeats.  The stars in my sky do not twinkle - they tear, jagged rips of light in the sky.  And in my time, I an half-certain that they are growing longer.  But I think I will pass before the darkness claims this place.  The only hope I allow myself is that each time I send this message, it may be the one to reach you.
You were right about so many things; I hope you are right about the rest.  As stardust or as I am, I will return to you...



inspired by Discover Magazine article, "The Tiniest Galaxy in the Universe"

No comments:

Post a Comment