Tuesday, March 4, 2014

DAY 62: Her impeccable sense of direction

She dumped him the night before he lost the game. He didn't lose the first time she saw me, picking off his toss from three yards away.  She consoled him all the way to the victory bus. Meanwhile, she saw me.
She knew me when I walked in on her shift, and she made my sandwich anyway.  I wanted to talk to her, and she said anything but football. So I shut up and let her talk, about school and after school, and life after school. That week, I had my first scoring interception.  I couldn't see her in the stands, but I could still feel her with me.  That was a good night.
The next week, I thought I wouldn't see her, until I did.  She was waiting in the parking lot; his team had a road game.  She celebrated with me, let me cheer her up. Another good night.
He found me the next week.  I was ready for a fight; I wasn't ready for what he said He said she'd been his girlfriend since her last boyfriend moved to Auburn. He said she's dropped him before, then came back when his team got their hot streak.  He said to tell her he wasn't gonna take her back when they were winning again. He said she dumped him the night before he lost the game.
I tried not to tell her. But she knew, and she said I was stupid for listening to him. "I'm just a girl!  I'm not a good luck charm! I don't even like football!"
She dumped me. Tomorrow's the game.


inspired by Discover Magazine article, "Found: The Brain's Own GPS"

No comments:

Post a Comment